Saturday, January 20, 2007

The "Bossy One"

When Ian posted his first account over on our joint blog (by the way, he posted an ancient passport photo of us the other day, which is funny, for those of you who are interested), he began his post by saying the blog had been my idea and that I'd been the one to come up with the rules. Boy, I sound bossy, don't I? If I'm honest, I have to admit I probably was (and maybe still am) a very bossy older sister. Anyone with a lesser strength of character than Ian probably would have killed me before we reached puberty.

As a matter of fact, my family happily labeled me the "bossy one," when I was still quite young, a label I find very ironic. After all, I haven't met too many older siblings who aren't bossy (Bob, the oldest of two boys is extremely bossy -- although he calls it "taking charge"), and I'm the one who had two experts to show me how it's done. By the tender age of three or four I'd learned that I couldn't just come knocking at the doors of my sisters' "houses," a motley crew of raggedy stuffed animals and dejected old doll "children"by my side, announcing I'd come for tea. Nor was I allowed to wear bellbottoms once everyone knew straight legs were the "in" thing. Even if I loved them, Abba and Leo Sayer were off limits as far as my musical tastes were concerned. And God forbid I should prefer to read The Hardy Boys over Nancy Drew (I compromised and found the wonderful, little-known Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series when they weren't paying attention). I have to hand it to them, my sisters kept me on the straight and narrow. Thank God, really. I mean, who would want to have to admit she once had Leo Sayer in her record collection?

What I find most ironic about being the "bossy one," though is that now that I've spent a number of years as an adult with the label "boss," I've discovered I don't really seem to possess whatever it is that others have that makes it easy for them to tell people what to do. There are many things I love about being a boss, but delegation is not one of them. I'm absolutely horrible when it comes to delegating tasks, somehow thinking the whole world is going to come to an end if I don't personally dot every "i" and cross every "t."

At the beginning of every year, I find myself making the same workplace resolution: "learn to delegate." But, you know, in January, we've all just come back from the holidays, and many have been away, and everyone's so busy trying to catch up. And, well, it's just easier to do these few little things myself. Then January turns to February, and February turns to March, and oh my God, two people have quit. Well, how can I possibly ask anyone to do anymore than he/she is already doing? Until we have some replacements, everyone is going to have to pick up the slack.

By summertime I'm maybe realizing my problem is that I can't tell the difference between asking and telling. After all, I've never questioned a boss of mine when he or she has asked me to do something. I've just gone and done it (as quickly as possible). And there's a difference between "work-place asking" and "non-work-place asking." Asking a colleague to write a letter for me that doesn't need my signature is very different from asking someone to help me solve all my psychological problems. Somehow, though, I'm not very good at distinguishing between different types of help, always assuming that if I'm asking for help it either means A. I'm no good at doing things myself or B. I'm extraordinarily needy. Finally, I seem to assume that no matter what I'm asking, it's going to be a huge imposition on the other person (God forbid I shouldn't just carry all burdens myself instead of sharing the load a little with others who are supposed to be sharing the load).

And then there's "telling." Truth be told, I don't think I've ever had one of those types of bosses you see on TV or in movies who just orders people about. I think I can only count a handful of times when I was actually told to do something. Yet, even then, I didn't freak out or immediately start looking for another job. I just accepted whatever it was as part of the job. When it comes to telling those I supervise what to do, though, I tend to find myself thinking, "Well, who am I to tell them what to do?" I seem to have had some sort of complete memory lapse that keeps me from responding, "You're the boss, that's who." I've forgotten that in this society, it's perfectly acceptable for the boss to, well, boss others around. In fairness to me, before you start to think I'm a complete wuss who shouldn't have this job, I currently work for a wonderfully nonhierarchical company where we don't just give lip service to the idea of "teamwork," we live it, and where the notion of "bosses," although we use the terminology, is pretty foreign. Of course, players on teams typically help each other out, though, don't they? And they're not afraid to ask for that help (or even to yell to others on the field to do what needs to be done), are they?

So, this year, as I sit here worrying about the mounds of work I've got accumulating, is going to be different. I'm going to learn, once and for all, the true art of delegation. I'm going to imitate those who do it with finesse, finding themselves surrounded by adoring colleagues who love working for them. February's on the horizon. Everyone just might be starting to come out from under all that post-holiday pileup soon...

6 comments:

Rebecca H. said...

Well...I'm the oldest and I'm bossy too. I will still throw my weight around when I'm with my family if I need to. For me, though, I'm only bossy in certain contexts -- with my family, in the classroom, with people who are spineless and are begging to be bossed around (yes, I know, very nice). In other contexts, I'm happy to let others make the decisions, and I'm not a good delegator, either. In fact, I'm a terrible one. If it's going to be done right, I'll need to do it myself obviously! :)

litlove said...

I'm not at all bossy, but I don't mind delegating (perhaps families make these labels in order to cripple you in later life?) I think of it as giving a chance to someone else to show what they can do, or to enjoy the feeling of contribution to the team. You've got to pick what it is you set as a task, though. If it really matters to you, it's best undertaken at least partly by yourself. Good luck! I'm sure you're a lovely person to work with, and that that shines through most of all.

Emily Barton said...

Seems we've got the perfect group here to all start our own little company: some better at delegating, others better at other things, etc. And, of course, we all know we'd be great to work with.

Froshty said...

As Emily's oldest sister, I am well-known in the family as being horribly bossy, going so far as to dictate to my younger siblings what music they could like and how to rank songs on the Top 40 lists we wrote each week, and insidiously influential, forcing everyone with my sheer will to hate the milk in England. However, I have found that in the workplace I'd much rather be bossed than boss someone and that I can't even convince my boss that he really shouldn't say "boil the oceans" in a proposal or convince an author that HFS file systems (which translates as hierarchical file system file systems) is redundant and shouldn't be used.

Emily Barton said...

Froshty, maybe you should come work for me. Payback time, huh? (And I won't let you listen to anything in the office except Peter Paul and Mary and Steeley Dan). What was it with the milk in England? Amazing how you could influence us from across the Atlantic!

Anonymous said...

My definition of a good boss is someone who makes you want to do your job, not one who forces you to do it. You are the first type of boss, its a gift, deal with it.
love,
your biased brother