Sunday, March 18, 2007

I've Been Foxed

First, I want to begin by noting I’m a savor-er, not a gobbler, by nature. I pride myself on my self control, my ability to appreciate every second of a glorious experience. I always save the best for last. I can make a box of dark chocolate truffles last weeks. When I discover a magnificent author, I don’t race out and read everything he or she has written, most especially if he or she has only written four books, but even when it’s, say, Anthony Trollope or Agatha Christie.

That being said, I finally received my first issue of Slightly Foxed yesterday. This magazine is a quarterly. Quarterly. That means it needs to be read slowly. It’s going to be ages before I get my next fix the next issue arrives.

I examined the table of contents as soon as I took it out of its white mailer to note it has sixteen articles plus the “From the Editors.” This meant, basically, five articles per month. A little more than one per week. No problem. I’ve plenty of other things to read. This would be my evening chocolate truffle.

I went about the rest of my day and sat down by the fire with it just prior to dinner, planning to read only the “From the Editors.” Can I tell you I’ve now read all five articles, plus some, allotted for March? Oh, yes, and may I add that poor Bob kept asking, “Umm, are we going to eat dinner anytime soon?” only to be either a. ignored or b. snapped at.

I’m telling you, though, this issue is so, so sly. It knew exactly how to lure me into its den. I mean, the first article about a fabulous-sounding parody of surviving life in Cold War England, written and illustrated by two regular contributors to Punch magazine was not something anyone with the slightest sense of humor could ignore.

The next article was titled “Daphne’s Moment of Decadence.” Yes, of course it was about Daphne du Maurier whom I’ve loved since I was fifteen. Following that were two extremely interesting articles on M.F.K. Fisher. Some of you may have noted her Gastronomically Me is on my classics list for 2007. I had to read those.

Then I decided, “Okay. Enough!” and thought I’d just sort of idly flip through the rest of the pages to see what I have in store over the next few months. An article called “Riding the Leopard” caught my eye. I paused just long enough to read the first paragraph. You be the judge.



The more you read, the more you realize you want to read, for each book
generates a further reading list. Only occasional readers imagine that reading
is a matter of working through a list of classics, like moving a pile of logs.
The rest of us know that every “classic” multiplies infinitely into minor
classics.” (John De Falbe, "Riding the Leopard," Slightly Foxed, No. 13,
Spring 2007, p. 52)


How can a reader not be drawn into reading an article that begins thus? Hell, forget reading the article. If I were single, my question would be: how can a woman not be drawn to marry a man who says such things? Should I be blamed for reading the whole thing, especially when it turns out to be so much about a particular, remarkable publisher (Harvill), of all things?

And then there was the terrific article on Seamus Heaney’s translation of Beowulf (which translation I’ve been wanting to read, but haven’t. Now I absolutely must). Beowulf was one of the few things I was required to read in high school that truly excited me, probably because it was a work that couldn’t be ruined by drab exercises, discussions, and quote memorization. I read it again in college, and it still excited me. I haven’t read it since, though.

When I flipped through some more and got to the article on A Passage to India, I finally decided truly enough! Someone please help me! I’ve got to get out of this den, more powerful than those where heroin runs like water. Thank God it's only a quarterly. Imagine if it were a daily. I’d have to answer “yes” on one of those addiction quizzes to questions such as “Has reading Slightly Foxed ever interfered with your work or social life?” and “Have friends and family members ever complained about your habit of reading Slightly Foxed?”

Nevertheless, pusher that I am, I’m encouraging everyone to subscribe. Better yet, let’s all make a pilgrimage to the fox’s den.

(Now I'm off for two weeks of business travel and don't know how much blogging time I'll have, so don't expect to hear much from me. Meanwhile, if you haven't already seen it, I also posted over here this weekend. Still waiting for Ian to post).

5 comments:

Ian said...

Hi Emily, I'm about to finish the h-boys post this morning. Slightly Foxed sounds like a great periodical. Mainly because the articles are about things I've read and love. Passage to India and Beowulf. Does Punch still exist?During the excavation of the upstairs closet i came across MFK Fisher's As They Were and have started it, along with three other books. Her writing is very determined and compelling. Have a GOOD week.

Rebecca said...

Oh dear, as the Slightly Foxed pusher, I feel slightly guilty.I have a vision of poor, bewildered Bob wondering what on earth is going on. Of course, I want everything the issue discusses, in particular the Daphne du Maurier and the Harvill collections.
I have all the back issues to date, so if you need an interim fix feel free to swing by.

Rebecca H. said...

Oh, my, I'm guessing I should stay far, far away from Slightly Foxed; it sounds just too tempting. I do want to know how that Leopard essay turns out.

Emily Barton said...

Ian, I think you'd love Slightly Foxed. No, sadly, Punch doesn't exist. This was a book that's out of print, written in 1962, when Punch DID still exist.

Becky, and did you notice I stuck an extra "e" on the end of "Maurier" in my original post. Egad! How could I do that to one of my favorite authors? And I'm sure I will borrow more from you (especially since we got that nice index with this issue).

Dorr, well if you DO decide you want to check it out, you'll know where to get copies...

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great and delightfully dangerous magazine.