Saturday, May 12, 2007

Excuse Me While I Panic

I’ve been noticing that quite a number of my favorite bloggers seem to be suffering from some sort of blogging malaise. They’re noting that they’ve been losing interest in blogging. Some of them are taking breaks. Some of them are shutting down their blogs. This state of affairs has left me in a bit of a panic for two reasons.

The first reason is that it seems to me people are getting blogger burnout around the 1 ½ - 2-year mark. As I sit here writing this, less than a week from my one-year blogging anniversary, I can’t possibly imagine ever getting bored with my blog. I so love it and the navel-gazing opportunities it provides. That being said, however, I happen to know very well that I’m the same (never-learn-from-past-experience) person who has started every single job with an enthusiastic feeling that I will never be bored. Lo and behold, give me some time in any job, and I will become bored. The only exciting factor is trying to figure out how long it will be before boredom sets in (receptionist for legal newspaper = three months, acquisitions editor for reference publisher = three years, executive editor of math and science for education publisher = who knows? I’m hoping three decades). I don’t want it to happen to me. I don’t want to get bored with blogging.

Let’s face it, though. I got bored blogging about telecommuting after what? Two weeks? Something like that. I had to open myself up to other topics in order to keep going. And I know perfectly well, boredom is a feeling not limited to work environments. Bob loves to joke about how I’m constantly taking up new interests with overzealous glee (“I’m going to learn to knit!” “I’ve got a bread machine, and we’re never buying bread again!” “I’m going to learn to speak Spanish!”), and six months later, he’ll notice I’ve moved on to something else (knitting needles, bread machine, Spanish CDs banished to the backs of closets). Incidentally, this is yet another reason (let’s call it reason #1,000,007) I’m not a great candidate for motherhood. Can you see me six months into it deciding I’m bored and stuffing the baby in the back of a closet?

Of course, I’m also well aware of the fact that feeding my ego trumps boredom. Comments approving of what I write will keep me going for months; I’m sure, even if I do start getting bored. As a matter of fact, that complimentary post of Mandarine’s a while back will probably be enough to keep me going for at least five years. So maybe I shouldn’t worry about this until I stop getting comments.

My second fear is that everyone I’ve come to know and love is going to disappear. Childhood and adolescent abandonment issues are pushing themselves to the forefront of my brain. All the cool, popular people are going to leave me behind, and I’m going to be stuck hanging out with nothing but the political bloggers or the “I’m-visiting-my-friends-the-Smurfs” bloggers. Because my abandonment issues are so good at convincing me I should just be a chameleon, if I don’t want to be alone, I’ll find myself composing such articulate comments as “Oh yeah? Well, go suck an egg,” to someone blogging about what a hero Sam Brownback is and how he so deserves to be out next president. Or worse yet, I’ll start blogging about the cocktail party with the trolls I attended that was certainly more fun than anything the Smurfy-One was doing.

Wrapped up in this fear, I decided I’d better go see if I could find some new friends before it’s too late. My real-life friend Victoria informed me that The QC Report was well worth befriending. I thought I’d make my way out to L.A. and pay her a little visit. Half an hour later, my sides aching from the laughter, I was lighting incense to the gods in hopes they’ll keep this new friend of mine from ever coming down with blogger burnout. An added bonus to discovering her is that she'll be a great impetus for me to continue my weak attempts at being funny, which will surely help me avoid my own boredom. You know how in kindergarten you were so thrilled with your bright, colorful finger painting of your family (including all the pets), and then you looked across the table to see the budding Picasso, with his multiple brushes lined up, stepping back to consider his “Variations on Someone’s Family,” and then stepping back in to touch up the purple, rectangular cat with a few well-placed strokes? Then you know how I felt reading this blog. I’m going home to beg my mom for some paint brushes.

Next, I headed into New York to knock on The Alternate Side Parking Reader’s door. If you’ve ever been stupid enough to decide to live in New York with a car and no parking garage space, as some of us have been (actually, judging from the numbers of people taking up all the prime spots on the alternate side between 11:00 – 12:30 in Morningside Heights, I have to change that “some” to “many”), you will immediately be able to relate to this new friend of mine. It also helps to be obsessed with All Things New York. Neither of these traits is required, though, to enjoy this highly readable and funny blog. You may have a little trouble understanding the thrill of discovering alternate-side-of-the-street parking has been suspended due to a 7-inch rainfall, or why someone would keep dialing 311 to make absolutely certain it was really true. Just pretend you’re a kid listening to the school cancellations three times on a snow day to make sure, and you’ll be about halfway to understanding the feeling. This blog isn’t even a year old yet, so I’m betting it will be some time before blog boredom sets in. Then again, how can anyone living in and blogging about New York ever be bored? Frustrated, lonely, exhausted, anxiety-ridden, yes. But bored?

So, I’ve pushed the panic button and realized I don’t really have much to worry about. Yet. But, please, don’t any more of you tell me you’re thinking about abandoning your blog. In return, I’ll try not to be boring and not to get bored.

12 comments:

Charlotte said...

As one of those suffering blogging ennui right now, I am happy to say your enthusiasm is infectious. I won't be giving up, Emily, I promise. I'll be back soon - With Topics.

mandarine said...

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I am not panicked, but I do feel preoccupied that I may lose friends to the addictive/enslaving nature of blogging.

I have many real-life friends that I see only once every second year. We should find ways to make sure blog buddies can keep in touch even when they virtually stop blogging or even stop commenting.

Rebecca H. said...

Well, I've been going for a little over a year now, and I feel nowhere close to being bored. I think trying out new looks now and then, and maybe new subject matter might help -- and like you say, reading new bloggers will help too. But if you ever show signs of boredom, I'll be in panic mode myself. I so enjoy reading your posts!

Emily Barton said...

Charlotte, YEA! After all, if you were to ever disappear for good, from whom would I steal ideas?

Mandarine, yes ways for blogging buddies to keep in touch would be a good idea. Maybe we ought to make good use of our pens we've all noted are so neglected by writing a once-a-year letter to each other. Or starting a round-robin letter.

Dorr, well, that's one of those sorts of comments that will keep me continuing for months! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

It's so interesting you should write about this when I've noticed how oddly quiet the blogosphere has been for me lately. The boredom thing is intriguing. I do get bored of blogging every so often, but then I give myself a break and find I return to it refreshed. I want to keep the blog, fundamentally, and so I'll find a way over the dull bits. And no, Emily, don't you dare give up!!

IM said...

Please don't get bored with blogging Emily. I'm keeping my interest by discovering gadgets and playing with page elements. But maybe this is just a way to procrastinate actually writing post.

Anonymous said...

Having you and Ian and Froshty's blogs is like keeping the sibling reunion going all year long. I like living vicariously through them. (Did I tell you I met George Clooney?)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted about this - I've been feeling the same panic...that everybody is leaving me while I LOVE blogging and have no intention of giving it up. It's good to know I'm not the only insecure blogger out here, and it's even better to know we'll be blogging together into the next several years!

Emily Barton said...

Okay, everyone, I won't stop blogging (and keep your comments coming).

Froshty said...

Well, froshtymugs has been up there since 2004, and I don't plan to give up. I haven't gotten bored with blogging, mainly because I have packed my schedule so full of other writing projects that a blog post has to threaten to hurl itself painfully from my brain if I don't write it before I post. I have found that I personally don't get bored if I do something judiciously and not continuously--but Emily, you are not to emulate me, okay? I look forward to knowing that you'll have at least two blogs for me to read in a week.

Emily Barton said...

Froshty, don't worry. I won't pick up your blogging habits. I'm too desperate for regular comments from you and Ian and Linser.

Anonymous said...

I have wondered about whether this would happen to Mirkwood, but I haven't wondered enough. In addition to connecting me with some very interesting people, blogging has also shown me where my weakness es lie (as regards writing in English), it has provided some welcome respite (procrastination?) from my dissertation and job search. I'm enjoying it too much to think about stopping now (Touch wood!).

I would be interested in knowing if it really is boredom that stops people from blogging. Perhaps something else is responsible - life-changing event such as a relationship, marriage, babies, a different job, illness, a new and all-consuming hobby?