Sunday, August 09, 2009

Good News and Goodbye

I will be saying goodbye for a while, as Bob and I take off for Maine tomorrow for three weeks (where, if all goes as planned, I will get to meet up with Dorr and Hobs for a little hiking -- after all, I named Dorr after Mount Dorr in Acadia National Park -- and exploring), and I will have very limited Internet access. I may be able to sneak in a blog post or two, but don't count on it.

Meanwhile, I have some (other) good news (it's not as though going to Maine for 3 weeks isn't good news). I got a new job. I have to admit that, although quite thrilled to have got it, I'm feeling a bit guilty. I know that in this economy, there are many out there who are in desperate need of a job and who have been trying for months and months to secure one with no luck, people who have children to feed or college tuitions to pay. Meanwhile, here comes Emily, not looking for a job, not knowing what sort of job to pursue, just biding her time for a while, and a job (quite literally) falls in her lap.

What happened is a former colleague of mine recently lost one of the editors he supervises. He sent me an email telling me so and asking if I were interested in applying. Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I decided to explore further and see if it did interest me. It turns out that the answer was "yes." So, I went through the whole application process, bickered a bit over salary and vacation (because I could afford to, a luxury I've never had in the past when applying for jobs, because, well, in the past, I hadn't quite learned what I've learned since being laid off this year, which has given me the chance to figure out what's important to me and what I feel my own self worth is).

I haven't signed the papers yet, so I guess it isn't really official. However, I'm assuming, given my soon-to-be-boss's reaction, that it's pretty "official." I'll be starting this new job Labor Day week, after my long, restful vacation. Perfect.

I will no longer be a supervisor, which is kind of sad (especially since, for some reason, this year, I've had four people I formerly supervised tell me I was the best boss they ever had), but I'm excited about the subject area and working with academics again. I'll be acquiring books on multicultural and minority studies. So, any of you want to write a book for me? (Hint, hint, Litlove: motherhood around the world.)

Meanwhile, do not worry. I will continue to make my novel my #1 priority (I'll be working to live not living to work). Besides, I can't help but do so. My characters absolutely wouldn't let me.

Have a great three weeks, everyone! If you think of me, think of me high atop a mountain somewhere eating delicious, fresh-picked blueberries.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Fantastic news, Emily! Have a great holiday and good luck with the new job.

litlove said...

Oh congratulations!!! I am so thrilled to hear you have a new job, and one that will suit you so well. And what a dream editor you would be! I will have to get a move on with some writing.In the meantime, have a fantastic vacation. I hope it's everything you wish it could be and more.

Charlotte said...

Great news, Emily. I am really pleased for you - and imagine if you ended up publishing a book written by Litlove! Have a great vacation.

Anne Camille said...

Congrats Emily. And don't feel guilty. Every person who gets a job in this economy helps the economy as a whole. :)

Have a great vacation getting away from your everyday life -- vacations are so important for all of us, but I would imagine that they are especially important for someone with a job like Bob's that involves not only his family (you!) but that can be round-the-clock. Have fun with Dorothy & Hobgolin.

Susan said...

Congratulations, Emily! You took it! I know, I know, I have to reply to your letter - this summer has been absolutely awful, and I'm hoping that after this coming week I'll finally be able to reply to it. I did love it, by the way! But as you know, I haven't been around blogging much, due to life stresses, so it's so very good news to hear that you have a job that you like AND you will keep writing your novel. That's the very best news of all! Enjoy your trip, dear one, and see you when you get back.

Emily Barton said...

Well, I didn't expect to be here to say it, but thank you, everyone! I plan on having a fabulous vacation (once it really gets off the ground).

bloglily said...

I'm so happy to read your news! Congrats -- and have a fabulous vacation (even with the slight delay.) xoxoxo

Stefanie said...

Congratulations!

Danny said...

Yay, mazel tov on the job!! Can't wait to hear more about it!

Smithereens said...

Catching up quite late, but that's still good news, isn't it? Congrats! Do you start as soon as you come back from Maine?