Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Girl Who Couldn't Say No (Except to a Dragon Tattoo)

I have only myself to blame, so don't listen to me when I whine and whine about being too busy and having no time. I am incapable of saying "no." This is what my calendar looks like between now and April 1 (and let's not talk about April with all the Lenten/Easter obligations).

Feb. 12th
8:30 a.m.: breakfast meeting with local library board to brainstorm fund raising ideas (okay flatter me, and I'll tend to say "yes." I was chosen as someone the board "thinks might have good ideas").

10:30 a.m.: putting together a display for the church's community outreach committee (of which I am co-moderator) for the church's annual meeting on Sunday

3:00 p.m.: first birthday party for a friend's grandson (I'm particularly partial to this little boy, because his name is Ian, which you all know happens to be my brother's name.)

Feb. 13th
10:45 a.m.: Church's annual meeting
11:30 a.m.: Church's annual luncheon after the annual meeting (and, yes, I offered to make something. I'm going to make Thai peanut noodles. Sometime on Saturday. Please don't ask me "when?")

Feb. 15th
6:00 p.m.: puppy obedience class (I'm also, somewhere, supposed to be doing homework for that.)

Feb. 17th:
7:00 p.m. Session meeting

Feb. 21st:
No work, and it's my birthday, so I'm hoping either to drive down to DE and take a long walk on a deserted beach and explore deserted beach towns or else to do some used bookstore shopping in Harrisburg, PA. I haven't made up my mind. (Of course, I might just stay in bed and read and sleep all day for my birthday instead. We'll see.)

Feb. 26th:
8:30 a.m.: breakfast with a friend
10:00 - 12:00: brainstorming session at church about Presbyterian Women
Then headed down to Charlottesville, VA to visit my parents.

Feb. 28th:
Meeting with an author in VA

March 1st:
6:00 p.m.: puppy obedience class
7:30 p.m.: Christian ed committee meeting

March 6th:
Headed up to Tarrytown, NY for
4:00: cooking presentation by contributor of one of the books I edited
Whenever that's over: continue to Stamford, CT to visit brother-in-law and spend the night with him

March 7th:
7:00 p.m. Community outreach committee meeting

March 8th:
6:00 p.m.: puppy obedience class (yes, they do go on forever. We've got 8 weeks of them.)
7:30: p.m.: Mardi Gras pancake party thrown by church youth

March 9th:
Noon: Ash Wednesday service at church

March 10th:
6:15 p.m.: serving dinner at the center for our disadvantaged youth

March 15th:
6:00 p.m. puppy obedience class

March 17th:
7:00 p.m. Session meeting

March 18th:
12:00 noon: lunch meeting in NYC with author
Afterwards: getting together with friend who now lives in Miami who will be visiting her daughter who is in college in NY (I haven't seen either in about ten years.)

March 19th:
5:30 p.m.: Christian ed dinner for parents and kids

March 22nd:
6:00 p.m.: puppy obedience class

March 24th - 27th:
My college roommate is coming for her first visit to my home in PA

March 27th:
6:30 p.m. board game night

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to dress up as my double and replace me at some of these events while I sit at home, sipping "calming" tea and reading?

5 comments:

litlove said...

I think your schedule would actually finish me off! For some reason, I'm reminded of an anecdote that my old head of department used to say about two male colleagues of hers who readily agreed to give conference papers but never wrote them until the last minute. One felt there was always the chance he might be ill at the last moment and not have to do it, and the other felt it was always possible the event would be cancelled and he wouldn't have to do it. I don't wish this for you! I hope all the events are such fun and so successful that they all give you back energy rather than taking it away.

Stefanie said...

Jiminey Crickets Emily!

And why do you have homework for puppy class, shouldn't it be Clare doing the homework? ;)

Emily Barton said...

Litlove, so far, they have been fun (although I did have to take a nap Sunday afternoon, something i don't normally do. I had no choice. Lay down on the couch to read and promptly fell asleep). I always complain when I get this busy but then have to realize I must like it, because I keep filling up my calendar this way!

Stef, I'm one of those Helicoptor moms who does all her child's homework for her :-)!

mandarine said...

Happy birthday!

Emily Barton said...

Thank you, Mandarine!