Monday, September 04, 2006

Food AND Books

When I was a child, my mother used to drink buttermilk. She was the only one in the family who liked it, and I can still picture her stretched out on the lounger on our front porch with a glass of buttermilk in the summertime. At that point in my life, my taste buds still young and willing to work long, hard hours to wallop me with intense flavor every time something touched my tongue, I’d have agreed to go six months without reading my beloved Cricket magazine to avoid having to drink a glass of buttermilk.

Somehow, though, my hatred of buttermilk didn’t register when I read about Laura Ingalls helping her mother at the butter churn, always hoping to get a little buttermilk. Her buttermilk wasn't sour and distasteful, but rather sweet and delicious, and my mouth watered as I read about it. I longed to drink some of that buttermilk right along with her, just as I longed to eat some of that maple candy Mr. Edwards brought after he ran into Santa Clause on the Prairie, even though I’d had maple candy from Hickory Farms and knew it made me feel sick. For some reason, I was sure that these foods must have been different back then. No child could possibly like the modern versions, but I trusted Laura implicitly. She was one of my best friends. If she claimed to have eaten and loved these special treats in all her little houses, I believed her.

Heidi did the same with her goat’s milk. Goat’s milk isn’t something I’d ever had, but I wanted to join her up there in those mountains, playing with the goats and drinking what was quite obviously the world’s best milk. Forget the fact that I was the world’s pickiest child when it came to cow’s milk. It had to be served at just the right temperature (it couldn’t be the least bit warm). I wouldn’t drink it unless I had some food to eat with it. When we visited England in the summertime, I didn’t like the milk (having been served only homogenized milk in America, I wasn’t used to what I would now consider that delicious cream that floated to the top of the bottles). My sense of how milk should taste was so keen, I could probably have sniffed a glass of United Dairies 1973, and told you exactly what kind of grass that cow had been eating before she was milked. Taking a sip and swirling it around in my mouth, I would have given it either a stamp of approval or one of disapproval, the latter resembling a reaction from Miles had he been presented with a glass of Merlot in the movie Sideways. Nonetheless (and despite my mother telling me she was sure I wouldn’t like goat’s milk), I wanted my parents to go out and get a couple of goats, so we could have fresh goat’s milk with our breakfast every morning.

After reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I became obsessed with trying to nibble slowly at my Hershey’s chocolate bars (which I was sure were completely inferior to Wonka bars, but I had no choice). I felt so sorry for Charlie living in that small place that obviously always smelled like cabbage soup (a smell I despised) with all those grandparents in one bed, and I was so impressed with his ability to make those once-a-year-chocolate bars last so long. How lucky I was to have a father who would bribe me with chocolate bars in order to have some company when he had to run errands. I should learn to appreciate them more, though, and to savor them the way Charlie did. Do you know how hard it is to make a Hershey bar last even two days? I fell madly in love with Charlie and his self-restraint.

I haven’t revisited any of these books in a long time, but boy do I still connect the foods with the books. Today, I’m far less picky about what I eat, so I can truly imagine enjoying the foods described in the books I read, and I could probably write an entire book about the foods I associate with specific titles. For instance, I’m not sure why a book that’s all about food, like Laurie Colwin’s Home Cooking, would encourage one specific food to march front and center in my mind, but I can’t look at that little yellow paperback sitting on my shelf without thinking about mouth-watering gingerbread, eaten warm on a crisp, fall afternoon. When I see Pat Conroy’s The Prince of Tides, I’m reminded of the huge amounts of shrimp my parents’ friends from Charleston would bring up when they came to visit us in North Carolina, and how we’d sit around the living room table peeling them and dipping them in cocktail sauce (an evening in heaven, as far as I’m concerned). Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird reminds me of those inadequate sandwiches my own hapless father (just like hers) used to prepare, never as good as the ones my mother made, despite having the same ingredients. And is it possible to read a Janet Evanovich mystery without wanting to race off to a state fair and purchase a couple of homemade cakes, hoping one will be as good as the kind Stephanie Plum’s mother bakes?

Funny, although I’ve learned to like yogurt, especially yogurt made from goat’s milk, I’ve never learned to like buttermilk. I’m sure, though, that if I could only prepare it in a little log cabin, in the middle of the Wisconsin woods, using an old-fashioned butter churn (the added bonus here being a fabulous workout for the arms), it would be divine. But until I finish that time machine, I think I'll go bake some gingerbread. Although it isn't exactly "crisp" yet, fall is definitely in the air here.

11 comments:

Poem Reader said...

Thanks for a wonderful post about food in literature. Makes me want to go read a Little House book!

Poem Reader said...

Thanks for a wonderful post about food in literature. Makes me want to go read a Little House book!

litlove said...

Wonderful post! I think I mistook books as food - a spiritual form of nourishment - and authors had their own distinctive and delicious flavour, salty, bittersweet, tangy. Ah and of course everything tastes better in fiction - just as colours are brighter and truths are sharper edged. Actually, I'm feeling quite hungry now.

Heather said...

Great post!!

Rebecca H. said...

Yes, great post! I feel the same way about Laura Ingalls -- I believed her absolutely and wanted to have the exact same experiences she had. In fact, do you remember hard tack, that bread they'd carry with them? I made that and loved it.

BikeProf said...

You know, food writing and criticism is starting to become a hot topic these days. It's my turn to push you: A book!

Anonymous said...

oh, I second bikeprof - a book! I remember so clearly the maple candy from those books and thinking it would be so divine. And of course, I'm right there with you with the Conroy piles of shrimp! Strangely, though, food from other books isn't leaping out at me. Having finished books about WWII, I don't desire rotten potatoes or fake coffee, and I'm currently reading A Walk in the Woods which isn't a great food book either. Also reading Empire Falls, so I guess between the two I'm reading a lot about diner food, which trust me, I could do without, despite my life long adoration for greasy cheeseburgers!

Emily Barton said...

Soul Sister, made me want to go back and read one, too.

Dorothy, was the hard tack easy to make? Sounds like I might have to find a recipe.

Thanks,Bikeprof and Courtney, for the vote of confidence in writing a book. Interesting idea. I'm thinking literature through food or food through literature. Or, Litlove's idea, books AS food. Just wish I hadn't been privy to so many of those publishing editorial board meetings in my life, in which I can picture people drilling the poor editor, "Yes, but WHAT exactly is the market for this book? WHY would anyone want to read it?"

Anonymous said...

mmm. I recently read The Long Winter (the one about Laura Ingalls Wilder's husband) out loud to my boys and could not believe how often -- and how much -- they all ate. We loved it, and longed to have jars and jars of relishes and pickles and preserves lined up on a shelf in the kitchen too.

I think maybe it's children's books that have the best food -- or at least the most memorable. (I too loved how almost erotic the unwrapping and saving of the chocolate was in Charlie and the Chocolate factory). And I really wanted to try turkish delight, just because it was Edwin's downfall in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. And do you know the Russell Hoban books about Frances? She's always going on these picnics or bringing school lunches full of fabulous food.

I do have a cookbook called Food With the Famous (could it be Jane Grigson?), and another of food from literature the name of which I can't recall. But neither of them deliver the pleasure you've described: maybe because a recipe and a picture aren't the same (and not as good as) coming across a food description in the middle of a story.

Rebecca H. said...

It was super easy, but, unfortunately, I don't have the recipe.

Emily Barton said...

Bloglily, oh yes, Edwin's Turkish delight! And I'd forgotten all about Frances until you mentioned her. You're right, when I started to write that post, I found it was the children's books that stuck out most vivdly in my mind.

Dorothy, rats! Oh well, there's always the internet for finding such things (I seem to recall seeing once a Little House cookbook. But I may be dreamt that).