Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The True Biblical Scholar is Discovered

You know the Bible 93%!

Wow! You are awesome! You are a true Biblical scholar, not just a hearer but a personal reader! The books, the characters, the events, the verses - you know it all! You are fantastic!

Ultimate Bible Quiz
Create MySpace Quizzes

I had no idea until today that I'm a true Biblical scholar. I used to be the person with a sieve of a brain, the one who ran around saying things like, "you know, what's-his-name from the Bible, the one who did that great thing we always hear about. Come on! He's the one from the Old Testament in that book that comes somewhere after Genesis, I think. No, it's not God, someone else..." I never would have predicted I'd do so well, having only read the Bible all the way through once and having hated Sunday School when I was a kid (as a matter of fact, I was a little afraid to take this quiz, sure it would be full of questions such as "Who was Beruchna's fourth daughter-in-law?").

Maybe the fact I'm married to someone who was the first at his seminary to make a 100% on his Presbyterian Bible Content ordination exam (don't tell him I told you that. He's embarrassed whenever I talk about it. Besides, we true Biblical scholars know it's a sin to brag about our husbands) is somehow rubbing off on me? I'll say, though, that the questions are heavily slanted in favor of those of us who are/were raised Christians. A fair test would not have had so many questions concerning The New Testament (19 out of 42, and it's really 19 out of 40, since the first two questions are about age and gender -- very important Biblical questions, I know) when one considers its length compared to that of the Old Testament. But who am I to quibble over such things? Oh, wait a minute. I'm a true Biblical scholar, that's who I am.

Actually, I'm thrilled to have discovered this fact. I mean, any day now, I could suddenly find myself being known not as "Emily," but merely as "the minister's wife," a fact that is, at times, leaving me a little nervous. I wouldn't be so nervous about this if people didn't keep asking me, "So, do you think you can handle being a minister's wife?" That question in and of itself is one to which I'd answer "Of course. What could possibly be so hard about it?" with blessed assurance, if I hadn't been so self-assured in my positive response when asked four years ago, "So, do you think you can handle being the wife of a seminarian?" and had then gone on to discover I'd make a miserable widow at this point in my life.

At least, from now on, when asked this question, I can say, "Well, I do happen to be a true Biblical scholar, you know," thus maybe intimidating my inquisitors so much they won't notice I swear just a little too much for a minister's wife and that "Irreverent" is my middle name. I mean, does it matter if my house isn't spotlessly clean and I'm no good at hosting ladies' teas on a moment's notice if I happen to know which book of the Bible is a book of poetry or who was eaten by a big fish? Obviously, people will be flocking to me to set them straight when they can't remember whether or not Dr. Seuss wrote the Book of Acts.

On second thought, from now on, I think I'll just start saying, "Of course I can handle being a minister's wife. After all, I'm 'awesome!' I'm 'fantastic!' What are you?"

Things Fall Apart in a nutshell: What on earth took me so long to read this brilliant book? I can't fathom how Achebe managed to cover so much in so few pages and, likewise, to do such a fabulous job of taking me into a culture about which I basically knew nothing, getting me to care so much about it. Not since I last saw the movie Black Robe have I been made to think so hard about the clashes and misunderstandings between different cultures, which are in many ways more alike than diferent, when well-meaning missionaries take up residence.

5 comments:

litlove said...

I do not dare do this bible quiz - I'd get zero points, unless it's something my son's covered in school! But I can see how reassuring that result would be to a future minister's wife! And I've heard a lot about the Achebe, but have never thought of it as something I'd really read. Perhaps I should change my mind?

Froshty said...

This is the best news. I can now say, when people ask about my family, "My sister Emily is not only an executive editor at one of the world's biggest publishing companies but she's also a noted Biblical scholar." This goes along quite nicely with my sister Lindsay, the internationally-recognized artist and noted South African expert, and my brother Ian, the award-winning history major and noted chef.

Emily Barton said...

Litlove, I promise you, you wouldn't get zero points, if I could come out a scholar. And, yes, change your mind about Achebe. I'm so glad I did!

Froshty, well, that sounds much better than "My sister Emily is the minister's wife."

Rebecca H. said...

So do you think you can handle being a minister's wife? Ha, ha -- just kidding :) The best minister's wives I've known have been the irreverent ones. But I certainly won't be thinking of you as a minister's wife -- you'll be the executive editor at one of the world's biggest publishing companies!

Emily Barton said...

Dorr, well, yes I think I CAN handle it, especially since I have friends like you who are even more true-Biblical-scholar-like (scoring 100!) than I. You'll have to help me out when all the parishioners are vying for my attention, and I'm too busy keeping everyone in line at the world's biggest publishing company (you know, the one that's bigger than the other two that are left).