Thursday, March 15, 2007

Guess the Lie

I liked Charlotte’s guess the lie post and decided I wanted to do it myself, but then I realized I do so much navel gazing, it would be pretty hard to come up with a lie that wasn’t immediately recognizable as such. Thus, I decided to turn to my family for help. Why not relive that childhood need to brag about my forebears and relatives a bit? So, below are six things that may or may not be true about relatives of mine. Only one is a lie. Take a stab at figuring out which one, let me know in a comment, and I’ll post the answer sometime soon (and maybe elaborate on all the truths a little while I’m at it). And sorry, Froshty, Ian, and Lindsay. For obvious reasons, you’re not allowed to play.

1. My great, great grandfather was a U.S. Congressman who decided to quit after one term, because he was fed up with all the nastiness he found amongst all those “distinguished” gentlemen.

2. My mother wasn’t my father’s first wife. His first wife was a well-known stage actress.

3. Dar Williams, the folksinger, is my cousin, and I’ve attended a number of her concerts with her parents.

4. The summer before I was born, my parents were living in England and were invited to have tea at Buckingham Palace.

5. I have one cousin who is the only person to have trekked solo, without re-supply, from Canada to the Geographic North Pole. Meanwhile, one of our other forebears led the members of a mountain climbing expedition to their deaths while attempting to climb the Matterhorn in his sneakers.

6. My great grandfather was an architect who designed, among other things, a house for Woodrow Wilson and the church in which Bob and I were married.


Invisible Cities in a nutshell: HUGE sigh of contentment! I’m sure this book was chock full of allusions that eluded me, but I’m sighing anyway, because it didn’t matter, its being such a beautifully, mathematically, ingeniously composed symphony of words (and so much more). Anyone read anything else other than If On a Winter’s Night a Traveler they’d recommend next?

Freaky Friday in a nutshell: about halfway through this book, I found myself thinking I could see why it would appeal to pre-teen girls, and why I liked it as a kid, but it really wasn’t something for adults. By the end of it, I’d changed my tune and felt it was a perfect book for adult “girls,” as well, one I will definitely share with my pre-teen friends (who’ve probably already all seen the movie) and their mothers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going with number 5 Emily, because of the sneakers.

What a wonderful family you have.

BikeProf said...

I hope #3 is true because I love Dar. I saw her in the Hudson News in Penn Station once and terrified her, I think, by recognizing her.

Rebecca H. said...

#2 struck me as a possible lie -- maybe because it was less specific than the others. Don't wait long to tell us ...

Anonymous said...

Good lord, this is a stumper! I'm fascinated by ALL of these and demand whole blog posts on the 5 true items. I'm going to follow my gut and say that #2 is the lie--"well-known stage actress" sounds a little iffy. But these are all so parallel in their "wow" factor that it could be any one of them. Your family seems pretty blue-blooded (unlike my peasant heritage) so 1, 4, and 6 seem plausible. You also didn't say that your parents had tea with Queen Elizabeth, just at Buckingham Palace, so it could've been some large-scale affair. My second choice for the lie is #5. I found a guy on the Internet who was attempting to be the first person to trek from Canada to the North Pole in 2002 but I don't think he made it. Oy, hurry up and post the answer, I'm dying of curiosity!!

Emily Barton said...

Seems even online, I'm not a very good liar.

Bloglily, well, you may have been right about the sneakers, but I grew up believing that's what happened, and the rest of it is definitely true.

Hobs, she's just terrific, isn't she? And don't worry, I would have terrified her, too, and I'm her cousin.

Dorr, ever consider becoming a detective?

Charlotte, sorry to disappoint you...

Danny, I would never be able to pull off having some famous stage actress in the family knowing you're out there. I hope the answers satisfy your curiosity, even if I didn't devote a whole post to each one.