Saturday, April 14, 2007

Sense of Humor: R.I.P.?

Somehow, somewhere, over the last few months, I seem to have lost my sense of humor. I just can’t figure out what’s happened to it. I’m a bit suspicious, knowing it, that “lost” may not be the word I want. I think it’s playing a trick on me and is hiding somewhere, because every so often, for a few special occasions like on Thursday nights when 30 Rock is on or when Bob and I go see a performance of The Cocktail Hour on stage, it materializes. But most of the time, it seems to be hiding in some deep, dark tunnel underneath a city street somewhere, the sort of place that echoes with mysterious voices and maniacal laughter where it knows I won’t dare set foot to try to find it.

I first realized it was missing when I picked up the audiobook version of Little Children by Tom Perotta a few months back. The jacket on the CD cover declared that this book was nothing short of brilliantly funny (granted, the subject matter didn’t scream “funny,” but I’ve been surprised in the past by good comic authors who can make any subject laughable). I was looking for a good laugh and eagerly inserted it into the CD player as soon as I got out to my car to find myself somewhat amused by the opening playground scene and its depiction of suburban motherhood. But that was the only amusement I was able to squeeze from what I found to be a hauntingly sad portrayal of 21st-century suburban life where people haven’t a clue what they want or need, and everyone is looking for a scapegoat for his or her own unbelievably wretched unhappiness.

Shortly after that, I picked up the audiobook version of Prep, a book about which I’d been curious for some time. This one also promised to be “funny.” I found absolutely nothing – seriously, N-O-T-H-I-N-G – funny about this gut-wrenchingly poignant portrayal of one of the most painful periods of a girl’s life. I did, one morning, find myself crying while listening to this book on my morning walk, but not once did it elicit even a slight chuckle. When I returned it to the library, I decided to take a look at the print book to see what its jacket copy had to say. Guess who endorsed it as funny. Tom Perotta. Well, if those two think they’re funny, I’d hate to see what they’re like when a loved one dies, and I hope I don’t ever end up in their company at a dinner party.

Thinking that maybe my sense of humor is just becoming wary of audiobooks, I decided to try a DVD. Holy Smoke was hailed as a comedy. Okay, I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t call a movie that takes me from butterflies-in-the-stomach in the beginning to cats-with-sharp-claws-in-the-stomach at the end a rip-roaring comedy. Maybe I’m odd, because although it was a very good movie, it just wasn’t the sort of thing I would describe to a friend thus, “Ohmigod, I was laughing so hard, I couldn’t stay in my seat while watching this one.” That’s the sort of thing I might say about, oh, I don’t know, There’s Something about Mary, maybe (I’m waiting to read somewhere that that one is a three-hankie tear-jerker).

Finally, encouraged by rave reviews in The New York Times and The New Yorker, Bob and I, desperately in need by this point of some gut-bursting laughter, decided to watch The Sarah Silverman Program. After the first episode we watched, I decided I was just being a bit dense or dumb. I must have missed something, because it had promise. It seemed like it could be so funny. So, I waited a week and watched it again, which is when I decided “dumb” was the right word but not to describe me.

You don’t know how much I’ve been missing my sense of humor. I count on it, especially when I’m down. I don’t understand why it’s chosen to desert me. Oh, wait a minute…hold on…I think I hear something. Was that it peeking through the pages of Rose Macaulay’s Crewe Train? Oh, and there it seems to have been flashing subliminally across the TV screen as we watched Casanova. It even came along and popped up to say “boo” a couple of times while I was sitting in the theater watching The Queen. I guess it’s not really gone after all. Maybe it’s just chosen to be a little more subtle these days, which is something I can truly appreciate.

16 comments:

Ian said...

We need to get together and tell some "remember when" stories. That'll get your sense of humor back. I'm going to see Widespread Panic with Michael on Friday, we'll try to dig some up for you.

Rebecca H. said...

I felt the exact same way reading Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered To Do It -- the back cover said it would be funny, but I laughed maybe only once. I found most of it utterly serious. Apparently, senses of humor can vary a lot ...

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie version of Perotta's "Little Children" and while I thought it was excellent, it was as far from "funny" as you can get. I've been fascinated lately by marketing campaigns that try to lure people in with false promises of comedy. Last night Kendall and I went to see Mike White's new film, "The Year of the Dog," starring Molly Shannon. Every ad for this film presented it as a wacky comedy, on par with some of Shannon's old "Saturday Night Live" parodies. That couldn't be farther from the truth. It's a fascinating, disturbing film, with some humorous moments, but NOT a comedy. Not by a mile.

When I was younger, American distributors of the few foreign films that would come to the States would often bill them as uproarious comedies to try and attract viewers. It really left me with a skewed vision of European humor. Do French/Italian/Spanish people REALLY think that's funny? Now I think it was just the studios' misguided attempts to sell European sensibilities to an American audience. Sigh.

I love Sarah Silverman but realize she is an acquired taste. Your reaction to her recent show reminds me of when I saw the first episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm." I thought it was the most painfully unfunny thing I'd ever seen on television--and then I became a Larry David fanatic and never missed an episode!

Anonymous said...

It's possibly mutating a little. It's possibly also quite happily there but not being fooled by books like 'Prep' being termed comedies. My sister-in-law said she realised she was growing up when, teaching a group of medical students, one blew up a rubber glove and held it above his head in order to imitate a chicken and she realised she didn't find it in the least bit funny. This is quite ok. All things must alter in time.

Charlotte said...

I think your sense of humour has come to live in your blog! I love visiting here, because I enjoy your tongue-in-cheek view of the world (I was going to say "wicked sense of humour" but thought that might not be appropriate for the wife of a soon-to-be priest.)

I'm sorry your recent reading matter has been letting you down. Perhaps that more galumphing style doesn't match your own more subtle style of humour.

Amanda said...

I don't think there was anything remotely amusing about Holy Smoke. In fact I found it actively disturbing.

Emily Barton said...

Ian, well, my sense of humor adores your company and will hang out for hours on end when you're around (it's chomping at the bit to hear all about Widespread Panic with Michael). So we HAVE to get together soon.

Dorr, I seem to remember your saying that about Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered. It has a funny title at least, which is maybe all that's needed in the ADD world of marketing books.

Danny, now see, you make me want to try Sarah Silverman again. There's SOMEthing there, I know. And you're so right about European films (although I've found that when talking real comedy, American comedies are never as funny as the original European ones, like Three Men and a Baby).

Litlove, as always, you make me feel much better.

Charlotte, you're right, too. Not only my blog, but others like yours, seem to be guaranteed spots where I can find my sense of humor hanging out, slapping its knees.

Ms. Make Tea, so glad to have that verified by someone else. "Actively disturbing" is exactly how I'd describe it. Not that there isn't a place for "actively disturbing," but not when you think you may be getting "laugh-out-loud funny."

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved that I am not the only one to find Little Children sad and serious!

Emily Barton said...

Smithereens, likewise! Maybe there are even more of us out here.

mandarine said...

Some people just can't be made to laugh at somebody else's expense. When I try to tell a blonde joke or a Belgian joke to my grandmother, it fails miserably, as the empathy she feels for the unfortunate character always prevails over whatever funny factor there might be.

However, empathy or not, I can't find of how Holy Smoke was supposed to make anybody laugh.

Froshty said...

I thought my sense of humor was gone because I don't think "The Office" is "hilariously, rip-roaring funny." "Mildly interesting" comes to mind instead. I worry about what critics think are funny--what they deem to be a dark comedy, for example, usually turns out to be a dreary tale about dreary people with dreary families who think saying things like "My mother does not live in what I term reality" is both wry and knee-slapping.

Anonymous said...

Read Froshty or Ian's blogs (or your own) and you'll be back to laughing in that embarrassing way we did in Annapolis.

Emily Barton said...

Mandarine, you're right. I find my sympathies often take over, even when I can understand something might be funny. Apparently, Holy Smoke was "dark humor." I just didn't get that.

Froshty, I've been told The Office is funny, but I haven't bothered with it. Now I'm even less likely to do so.

Linser, yes, my sense of humor does like hanging out at Froshty and Ian's blog. And as long as I'm not reading them in a public place, no need to be embarrassed.

Marissa Dupont said...

Emily, The Office is frickin hilarious, PLEASE give it a shot. But it's best when you get the DVD and can watch like three episodes in a row, back to back. Because during the first episode, you're going to be like "That boss Michael, he's such a jackass it's almost painful to watch." In the second episode, you start really enjoying the characters and appreciate that this is mostly done through improv. And by the third episode, you have fallen in love with Dwight. I mean, Jim. :D Or both.

If you like Will Ferrell at all, you should definitely check out "Anchorman" and "Talladega Nights". They are both brilliant and I don't normally like dumb comedies (which is what both of those look like, I know), but they're actually pretty smart. Will Ferrell rules.

Oh and I find this very amusing as well, speaking of Will Ferrell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cCR3xKoDMk

Emily Barton said...

Okay, Marissa, that video definitely found my sense of humor, so it's not gone after all.

Marissa Dupont said...

Glad to hear it! If you like that video, you'll definitely appreciate my other recommendations. :)