Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Commenters Meme

Thanks today goes to Charlotte (see #7 below), who has helped the NaBloPoMo cause by tagging me for yet another meme (actually, I suppose you could say I tagged myself for this one, once you read the rules). I have to say that at first I was a little nervous about this meme. I mean, unlike Charlotte who gets scads of comments on every one of her posts, I consider myself successful if a post gets five comments. I wasn't sure I'd have the requisite 10, and then I'd have to come up with some sort of lame excuse for not doing this meme (even though desperate for post ideas), because who wants to have to admit that she's had a blog for over 2 years, and fewer than 10 people has ever commented on it? But then I started scrolling through my comments and realized I do have ten (in fact, more than ten -- woohoo! -- because some of my regulars don't even show up on this list). I also noticed that the list suspiciously resembles those who were on my "I Love Your Blog" post. You are not to interpret that to mean that I only love those who comment on my blog. It's just that maybe I love those who do a wee bit more. I mean, how can you love someone you don't know is there?

Here are rules:

1. List the last 10 commenters on your blog.

2. If you’re on the list, you’re tagged.

Here's my list:

1. Sara at It's Sara with No H

2. Stefanie at So Many Books

3. Pete at Couch Trip

4. Cam at Cam's Commentary

5. Marcy at ZoesMom

6. Nigel at Hand Made Luck

7. Charlotte at Charlotte's Web

8. Becky at Musings from the Sofa

9. Debby at She Knits by the Seashore

10. Courtney at The Public, the Private, and Everything Inbetween

And here are the questions:

1. What's your favorite post from number 3's blog:
Oh, I just loved his Diary Monday (on a Tuesday). He got the idea from Courtney to post diary entries from a particular time in his life and made it his own, being so honest and giving us a little self analysis. All that, and he also proved to be a man after my own heart when the #1 thing on his list of ten things to feel good about was "choc dessert." That is most definitely a thing to feel good about (as was the "mashed potato with cream." I was a little more skeptical about the "papaya in the fridge," but had it been grapefruit, well, then I would have decided I'd met a long-lost twin brother).

2. Has number 10 taken any pictures that moved you?
She takes gorgeous shots of her home-state of Michigan that make me long to visit it. And then she writes gorgeous poetic prose about it that makes me want to visit it even more.

3. Does number 6 reply to comments on his blog?
Oh, he is one of the most faithful responders out there, even when I play catchup and post comments on, like, six posts in a row. He goes back and responds to all of them. If you want to feel like someone cares about what you have to say, go visit Nigel.

4. Which part of blogland is #2 from?
She is one of the best litbloggers out there. Occasionally, she also posts on other things like her library school experience. Always, always, she is entertaining and makes me think.

5. If you could give one piece of advice to number 7, what would it be?
I'm assuming other than "post more often," (which would be the advice I'd give everyone)? Visit more beautiful cities and give us your take on them (something I know she's doing right now, actually).

6. Have you ever tried something from number 9's blog?
Well, I have been trying to knit, but I have to say, I am nowhere near as accomplished as she is. Maybe one day...

7. Has number 1 blogged something that inspired you?
Well, I've only recently "met" number 1, so it's really kind of unfair for me to answer this question, because it isn't like I've been reading her for two years. However, I absolutely LOVE her sidebar of "Things I Find Irritating." That should inspire anyone who visits her blog to feel free to speak out against life's irritants and maybe to put something similar in her own sidebar (if she isn't as much of a Luddite as I, whose #1 irritant would be "trying to add things to blog sidebars," am).

8. How often do you comment on number 4's blog?
I try to comment on every post, unless I'm just way behind in my blog reading (which is certainly happening during this NaBloPoMo).

9. Do you wait for number 8 to post excitedly?
Oh, absolutely! In fact, if she checks her site meter, she'd probably notice that even though I have her on my google reader, I check and re-check her blog constantly for new posts, new comments, and new books added to the list of books she's reading.

10. How did number 5's blog change your life?
In many ways. I've gotten to know her as a real life friend. I've gotten to know her daughter. I'm getting to know her mother, who might write a book for me. Oh, and she's turning me into someone who might start visiting a few cosmetic counters.

There you have it. That was fun. And (yea!), one more day of NaBloPoMo done.

6 comments:

Rebecca H. said...

Fun meme and a great list. It's a nice way to recognize all those regulars (and to remind me that it's high time I got over here to leave a comment or two!). :)

ZoesMom said...

I've been tagged for this one by you and Charlotte and I am realizing the same fear you expressed. Yikes, I might have to stop at 8.

Regardless, I'm glad I made your list and that we've become friends.

Anne Camille said...

I appreciate those comments when you leave them! (#4)

Emily Barton said...

Dorr, to tell you the truth, when I went through, I was VERY surprised that you didn't show up. You've always been such a faithful commenter

ZM, if you'd like, I can pretend to be about five different commenters on your blog now...

Watson Woodworth said...

I'd do this one but though I think my commenters are of high quality they're not of the double digit quantity.

Anonymous said...

Ah, my first meme. This is an enormous challenge but I will take it and I will post something about my many irritations! Feel free to join in the comments :)