Saturday, May 05, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes?

Right now, it seems, Bob and I probably have three choices. We can move to a little town in Lancaster County, PA (if you’re like me, you knew nothing about this area of the country until Harrison Ford oh-so-attractively brought attention to it in the movie Witness, and still basically know nothing about the area, but would love to run into him walking down the street); we can move back to the much bigger town in Connecticut where we met; or we can move down to an even littler town in Augusta County, VA., where my forebears staked out their turf before migrating to Albemarle County, VA. Augusta County and Lancaster County are breath-takingly beautiful spots, places where many Americans vacation every year. The town in Connecticut is basically a utilitarian suburb of New York City (I know, because I used to live there. To announce you were going to vacation there would be like announcing you were going to vacation in Trenton, NJ). However, it’s a mere 40-minute train ride from Grand Central Station. And if someone were to invent truth serum and inject me with it, of all the places I say I’d love to live in the world (Edinburgh, London, Maine, San Francisco, Santa Fe, Bonaire…), under this serum’s influence, I’m sure I’d blurt out, “Are you nuts? There’s no better place in the world to live than New York City!” Screw warmer climates. When I retire, I want to be on the Upper West Side with a view of the Hudson.

So, why am I even considering living anywhere else? Well, first of all, I’m well aware of the fact that blah suburban towns are not Manhattan, and that they can suck you in to such an extent that you rarely hop on that train to the city. Secondly, we haven’t yet received an official call in Connecticut. I won’t bore you with the details of the tedious process of “receiving and accepting a call” (church speak for being offered and accepting a job) in the Presbyterian Church USA. Suffice it to say I don’t want to put you to sleep, nor do I want to have to produce what we in the publishing world would refer to as a 120,000-word manuscript. Pennsylvania has “called Bob” (and we have two weeks to accept). Virginia has informed him he’s their first choice; they’d like him to come back and preach in a neutral pulpit (required formality), which basically means that if he doesn’t stand up in front of a congregation and pick his nose, they’re going to call him.

Imagine, if you will, then, a 200-year-old church in farm country where the Amish and Mennonites (quaint and fascinating to you at this point, from an outsider’s point of view) trot by in their buggies pulled by horses. Farm markets pop up out of the landscape the way Wal-Marts do in other areas of the country. Focus for a moment on that four-bedroom, 100-year-old manse next door to the church. While I write this, it’s being renovated. A brand new kitchen, brand new bathrooms, and new appliances, as well as sanded and polished hard-wood floors await the new residents. Said residents don’t have to pay for anything in the way of upkeep of this house, except the telephone. Someone else will worry about such things as cutting the grass, adding water softeners, salting the driveway when it snows, and plumbing concerns. Imagine me (if you’re familiar with my more macabre side) living in a place with a back yard that’s basically a cemetery. Those of you who are more familiar with my animal-loving side can picture me on my morning and evening “commutes” (the walks I take twice daily), encountering cows, horses, goats, chickens, and even mallard ducks waddling across the street, purposefully quacking which each step, as well as an occasional bunny chowing down on someone’s bush in a front yard (I know. I took this walk last Sunday). Wouldn’t that be hard to resist?

Now, imagine another church. The cows are still very much in the picture in the fields that surround the church. Some of them are lying down, but I’m sure you’re familiar with the way they all stop and turn and stare at you as you come along. This is a stone church built in 1740, and those cows, apparently, sometimes like to come join the service when it’s summertime and the congregation is sitting out on wooden pews in front of a makeshift wooden pulpit in the oak grove on the property. Across the street from this beautiful and historic church is an old clapboard farmhouse, built on the original logs of the original manse with stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can live there if you want, or if you don’t (say you’ve gone online and have discovered a beautiful log cabin for sale), you can get a housing allowance to pay for your mortgage.

I’ll ask you to imagine one more thing. You’ve sat down and have even shared meals with the members of the pastor nominating committees for these churches. They were all so ingenuous. They all wanted so badly for you to like their churches. They all raved about your husband and his ability to write and to communicate. Many of them indicated that they just wanted to hug him. How can you possibly say to them, “Sorry, but we don’t want to come to your church?”

Meanwhile, what do you do when, after a week of traveling in Pennsylvania and Virginia, the minute you cross back over the Connecticut (a place where you moved 20 years ago just until you could figure out a way to work and live either in NYC or Boston) line, you find yourself realizing you love this state? You find yourself wondering how you can ever leave. You enter the doors of the house with which you’ve had a twelve-year-long love-hate relationship and regret ever having said one nasty thing about its magnificent being. What do you do when you suddenly discover that 23-year-old you who always relished the idea of moving every few years, never staying in one place, and discovering new places has been squashed by a 43-year-old you who thinks 23-year-old should have been locked away years ago?

I don’t have any answers. I’ll keep you posted. Oh, and by the way, we’ve just discovered the church in the San Francisco Bay area that we thought had lost interest hasn’t…

12 comments:

mandarine said...

If it can be of any help, just know that I have spent 22 years in a posh Paris suburb and probably went into downtown Paris four times a year. Then I have spent ten years in downtown Toulouse and loved it but it felt stifling on summer week-ends. Then here in the middle of nowhere with the cows marching thir daily peace protest below my bathroom windows. I do not miss the rbig cities. I do not even want to leave on holiday anywhere else. But then I am a bit of a hermit (with a big garden).

Anne Camille said...

I laughed at your comment about retiring on the UWS -- that is exactly what my husband wants to do next year. (Since I'm working 2x month just across the Hudson, it doesn't seem like that crazy of an idea, but....if its retirement it better be in a building with more than 5 floors. I want an elevator in my dotage). Wouldn't it be nice if we could have everything we want -- locale, house, opportunities, friends -- in the same place? I wish you and Bob luck in discerning what is best for you (and if that doesn't sound like search committee talk, I guess I haven't been involved with enough of them!)

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some words of wisdom but I don't. I don't relish the choices you have in front of you because I know what a difficult decision this will be for you two to make. But I have NO doubt you will make the right one. You both are in my thoughts!

IM said...

If its still possible, I vote for the San Francisco Bay area. Further away I know, but man, how cool would that be? I live in a questionable part of town, to some people anyway, and LOVE it. It's what you make of it.

Marissa Dupont said...

You know Eric at work (copywriter) is from Amish country if you want to ask him what it's like to live there... :)

Emily Barton said...

Oh, Mandarine, I (being an over-exuberant puppy-type, as opposed to a peace-protesting cow)could just hug you for saying the right thing at the right time!

Cam, if you DO retire to the UWS, expect a frequent visitor! What fun.

Court, I could hug you, too. And you're so wise to realize (even when my stomach is in knots) that we're sure to make the right decision. (BTW, we seriously considered a church in Detroit, but when Bob wrote, they seemed to have already found someone.)

Ian, and think of what trouble we'd get into when you come to visit on the west coast! However, I'm a little worried about the birds-in-hands vs. birds-in-bushes issue...

Marissa, well Eric is so cool, that's a point for Pennsylvania. And thanks for the tip. I will most definitely be grilling him.

Anonymous said...

Well, it all just sounds thrilling to me. Leaving somewhere feels awful until the day you wake up somewhere new and full of exciting possibilities. Personally I would always opt for somewhere beautiful, because there's nothing like a glorious view to make you feel serene and invigorated all at once. And you can reinvent yourself, Emily, which is just such fun to do! The only real issue is whether these places have internet connections. Avoid them like the plague if they don't.

Rebecca H. said...

Well, congrats to Bob and to you for having such great choices! I know this decision is difficult, but I'm sure the two of you will work through it and figure out exactly the right thing to do. I'm excited to hear where you'll be!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, how terrifying and exciting! My vote, for what it's worth, rests in Lancaster and Augusta counties. Living in a big city myself (which I admit I love), these two locations seem irrestistible. I realize there are challenges to living in rural communities but it sounds like such an interesting change. Whereas you can always go back to visit New York and stay in the city rather than out in CT.

Of course the Bay Area is also a great prospect and if the potential California gig was closer to L.A. I'd be spreading rumors about your husband throughout Pennsylvania and Virginia just to get you out here.

Oh wait, did I hear Blue Ridge Mountains? That's Waltons territory! Since I base all my life decisions on movie or TV shows that have influenced me, I'm now leaning towards Virginia--even though the Blue Ridge Mountains I'm fantasizing about were really the hills of Burbank, CA...

Emily Barton said...

Litlove, I hadn't thought about the reinventing myself factor, which sounds like fun. Of course, I'm not sure how good I am at it, since everyone I know in the real world who reads my blog tells me it's just like the real me. I mean if I can't even reinvent myself in the blogosphere where no one can see me, there's no hope, is there?

Dorr, and we'll be excited to have you (and your bicycles) visit, no matter where we end up.

Danny, just the thought of being on the same coast as you makes the CA one seem awfully attractive. Then again, maybe if we end up in Virginia, you'd be inclined to make the long cross-coast trek to visit Walton territory.

Charlotte said...

The idea of the 100-year-old manse sounds so lovely. I second Courtney that whatever decision you make will be the right one for you (two). Does your husband have a gut feeling about which community he likes best?

Anonymous said...

Dan says take the San Francisco offer!