Monday, May 28, 2007

F-F-F-Fears and Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I’ve made some rather startling discoveries about myself during this whole process of discerning Bob’s call to the ministry. Isn’t it always interesting when you think you know so much about yourself, and then you discover, given certain circumstances, that nope, you are just as clueless about the real you as that stranger sitting across from you on the subway? As a matter of fact, he may even know you better, if he assumes certain traits of all human beings, those that six months ago you would have hotly contested were not traits of yours.

I don’t mind too much when my discoveries turn out to be good ones, when, for instance, I find I was wrong to think I’m not the sort of person who will say, “What do you mean? That’s not a square. It’s a triangle,” when everyone else in the group is calling a three-sided, closed figure a square. I like discovering I’m not a sheep who just follows the crowd the way I generally assume I am. I like knowing I’d probably be the neighbor who would call the police if I heard Kitty Genovese screaming.

But the discoveries I’ve made during this process haven’t been such noble ones. For instance, I’ve discovered I’m terrified of leaving my comfort zone. Me. The cheerleader who’s favorite line for all her friends is, “Rah! Rah! Change is good!” (I guess that means I’m also discovering I’m one of those awful people, full of advice for others she never follows herself.) I’m the one who’s always looking at others with that oh-so-critical eye, thinking, “How can she possibly still be living there/with that loser/sticking it out at that dead-end job? Isn’t she bored/frustrated to tears? She should move/kick him out/find something that allows her to use all her great talents.”

I’m the one who never understood how my parents could have lived in the same house for 24 years, leaving it occasionally for stints in other places but always coming back. I was especially amazed by my mother, the diplomat’s daughter, who’d lived in all kinds of exciting cities all over the world before she was married. Not that I would have relished moving around as a child. Switching schools every so often was hard enough without also being uprooted. My little judgmental mind was very good at ignoring this fact, though, when it was sitting back, deciding what boring lives my parents lived and vowing never to fall into such a trap.

My parents have since made up for their years of stagnation, having moved three times since I graduated from college. Meanwhile, I, the one who was going to move every five years or so, the one who wanted as many different living experiences in this short life as she could get, have been living in Connecticut for nearly twenty years. Granted, I lived in many different apartments with many different roommates during the first seven of those years, but this July 1st will mark twelve years of living in this one house. My fourteen-year-old self is looking at me with utter disdain. Not only have I let this happen, but I don’t seem overly eager to rectify the situation.

I’m not looking at the opportunity to move as a great new beginning, my next big adventure in life. Instead, I’m clinging to things I never thought were all that important. I like the fact I know where everything is here. I like my work-day routine, in which I spend half the day upstairs and half the day down. I like the way we’ve let nature take over and let our yard grow mostly wild, despite curious looks from neighbors (looks I used to find embarrassing, constantly feeling the need to explain we’re environmentalists). And then there are the things I know are important: I adore all my friends in Connecticut and nearby New York. I love living on a quiet, dead-end street. I love, love, love New England with its picturesque towns, gentle mountains and fabulous shorelines, as well as its winters. If we’re going to move, it’s supposed to be somewhere else in New England, preferably Maine.

There we have it: the queen of change is afraid of change, so afraid she was willing to let her husband turn down a job that was practically custom-made for him, so she could stay, if not in the same house, at least on familiar turf. That’s not going to happen, though. Bob is scared, too, but we both realize fears are never a good reason to pass up a wonderful opportunity. We’ve made a decision. We’re moving to Pennsylvania.

Guess what. I’ll eventually know where everything is there, too (and I’ll have the fun of making those discoveries). I’ll settle into a new work routine. I’ll make new friends, and all my wonderful friends from Connecticut and New York can easily come visit, as it’s not that far away. We’ll have plenty of room for guests. My fourteen-year-old self has already packed up her room into the moving van and tells me she’ll be waiting to show me the ropes when we follow her in the fall.

Meanwhile, bear with me, please, as I deal with all my anxieties and fears over the next few months. Like, for example: “Ohmigod! What are we going to do with twelve years’ worth of accumulated junk?!”

14 comments:

Anne Camille said...

Congrats on finalizing your decision and on Bob's new job. Best of luck to you in your new home, new town, new role as the minister's wife. The 100-yr old house sounds totally cool. I'd guess that the 14-yr old Emily as well as the current Emily will like it.

mandarine said...

I am confident it is all downhill once you take the decision. Apparently te decision is taken (congratulation, by te way), so tht now, change becomes something concrete and you'll be looking forward to your new world.

Anonymous said...

Woah Emily! It's exciting really! As I get older I think everything looks worse and worse in anticipation because experience starts to overburden you with all the stuff that could possibly go wrong. But then the upside of that, is that when things finally start to happen, they are not as bad as you feared. And now just hark at me. Wait until I have to move house, and we'll see just how calmly I take it!!

Anonymous said...

Is the Pennsylvania job the one with the lovely house? I was secretly rooting for that one, so thanks for taking my incredibly valuable and considered opinion seriously. Your blog is the perfect place to air any anxieties about moving - I think the actual moving process is completely anxious-making but the process of starting afresh somewhere new is liberating. Once you're there, I'm convinced you'll love it.

Emily Barton said...

Cam, you're right. The current Emily is already fantasizing about her new home and exploring new places.

Mandarine, yes, it's always the "not knowing" that's the most difficult part. A final decision is usually liberating (in a few months, you'll have to remind me I said this when I'm in the midst of packing woes/the movers have lost my favorite books/I get lost every time I step out the front door of my new house. etc.).

Litlove, my new mantra is going to have to be, "This is exciting."

Charlotte, well, yes, it is the one with the lovely (free) house, so thanks so much for your valuable advice.

Rebecca H. said...

Ohhh! I'm trying to be fair here, and on the look-out for what's best for you -- but you're leaving Connecticut, and I'm not happy about that!

Ah, but Hobgoblin and I will definitely be visiting you in Pennsylvania -- we'll be imposing on you, in fact, asking for rides to and from the Appalachian Trail.

It does sound like this is the best decision for you both, and I'm glad you'll be in such an interesting place and that Bob will have such a great job.

Emily Barton said...

Oh, Dorr, I know. Leaving people like you and Hobs is going to be so hard. But impose all you want (just be prepared to be exhausted when you hike, because I plan to stay up all night talking when you visit!).

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I know it's going to be scary and different but I think in the end you will be happy for the move. Again, it isn't forever so why not throw 14 year old you a bone for a bit? I think all of the insecurities that surface before a decision is made are important. Now you can take them one by one and realize they aren't so scary after all. And you can blog the whole darn way! I'm so excited for you. I LOVE PA.

Emily Barton said...

Court, why don't you and S. move back to PA? I need people like you around on a daily basis.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your move! Fear of change, if it doesn't grow out of proportions, is nothing to be ashamed of. Is it the place where you'll bump into Harrison Ford when visiting the farmers' market? Somehow I still remember you talking about it in an earlier post...

Emily Barton said...

Smithereens, why yes, it IS the place where I fantasize about running into Harrison Ford at the Farmer's market (good memory).

Froshty said...

Well, I wonder which family member I can blame for *not* telling me that you and Bob were moving to Pennsylvania. Emily, as one of those people who really does love change and has lived at six different addresses and two different states in the last 10 years, I heartily congratulate you on making this tough decision. Other than the fact that you'll find that "only taking care of the telephone" means that you and
Bob have to cut down trees and craft telephone poles and install wires to replace the tin can system they use now, I know you'll be really happy you left your comfort zone.

Anonymous said...

I understand your trepidation on the big changes ahead, but how exciting too! All the best to you and Bob. Packing is never any fun but unpacking and deciding where everything will go in your new digs will be like Christmas :)

Emily Barton said...

Froshty, perhaps you'd like to come up for a little "install the telephone" line party in September?

Stef, you're right. I've already been fantasizing about setting up my new digs.