Saturday, June 16, 2007

I Am Not Alone II

Litlove and Courtney both tackled the writing things meme with the sort of grace we’ve come to expect from them. I was thinking of adding my own clumsy steps to the dance, but then I realized I’ve got this piece already half developed that sort of does the same thing. Thus, I thought I’d finish the other half and share it instead.

I think I’ve mentioned in the past that Bob and I subscribe to a local theater here in Connecticut. I’m being a little disingenuous when I say that, so I’ve decided to come clean and say that this “local theater” is The Long Wharf in New Haven, CT., one of the best regional theaters in the country. Its close proximity to New York means access to so much talent. In April, we were treated to the world premier of a collaboration between the playwrights David Cale and Dael Orlandersmith. The interesting thing about these two is that they’re used to working solo: writing and performing their own material. This extraordinary effort gave absolutely no indication of that, as if they’d been partners on paper and on the stage for years. It worked beautifully and seamlessly, the two of them creating completely believable characters, regardless of age, sex, race, and sexual preferences (although the dramaturge tells us it wasn’t so seamless in production).

But I’m not going to write anymore about the play itself. I’m perfectly aware of the fact that it’s a. extremely annoying to those who love live theater to read about how terrific something was that they’ll never get the chance to see and b. how extremely annoying it is for those who couldn’t care less about live theater to read anything about it at all. What I want to focus on is the little “Offstage” handout the dramaturge puts together for each performance. This handout typically provides thoroughly well-researched background material for the play as well as, when possible (i.e. when he/she is still alive and around), an interview with the playwright. Both playwrights were interviewed for this piece.

David Cale said this in his interview:

“Writing for me is like going for a walk. You think you’re going to head down to the river, and before you know it, you’ve made a detour, and you’re standing in a grocery store in midtown with a cookie in your hand.”

Dael Olandersmith had this to say about writing,

“Sometimes I’ll write while I cook. I’ll put something on the stove, then come back and write, then go back to cooking. They’re both creative acts. Particularly if you look at what is called ‘peasant cooking.’ I don’t like that expression, but it’s just that creativity coming from poverty: how do you take something that’s given to you and use your imagination to make it delectable?”

Next time I’m feeling oh-so-sorry for myself, and find myself thinking I’m just so very different from every other human being on the planet, and no one’s ever gonna understand me, I’m going to whip out this brochure and re-read it. I’ve never read two quotes that so beautifully characterize my relationship with writing. No wonder these two managed to work so well together.

6 comments:

Rebecca H. said...

I love that first quotation about the walk -- perfect!

Amanda said...

Interesting thoughts, Emily

I have just been thinking about the idea of myself as a writer and I realized that I don't really see myself as one. What I am primarily is a researcher- curiosity is my driving motivation- and writing is a tool I use to make sense of my findings and thoughts.

Probably when I most hate writing is when I'm not exactly clear on what I think or want to say and I most enjoy it when I get into the flow of it and what I think emerges and becomes clear to me through the words I put onto the page.

I suspect I've also been warped(?) by my legal training in terms of writing style. The urge to break things down into lists is always quite close to the surface in me.

IM said...

"Creativity comes from poverty," I've been feeling awfully creative lately.

Emily Barton said...

Dorr, doesn't it just ring so true? Can't you just see yourself looking down at that cookie, going, "Huh?" and then thinking, "Oh well, much better than the river today," before taking that first bite?

Ms. Make Tea, my writing style has been warped terribly by reading and editing academic books for so many years. I find I'm loosening up a lot, though, now that I'm reading and editing books for teachers. Blogging helps, too. And funny, I would never have guessed you don't think of yourself as a writer. You do it so well. (That leaves me a bit worried, since I DO think of myself as a writer. However, it took me years to admit that.)

Ian, and it shows.

Anonymous said...

I love these quotes - but then given our shared proclivities, of course I would! I might have to adopt them too...

Emily Barton said...

Litlove, no, doesn't surprise me at all that you would love these quotes as much as I do.