Friday, September 28, 2007

How Does One Write about Such Things?

(I want to apologize ahead of time to Forsyth and my two nieces, whom I hope won’t mind that I am writing about this extremely personal and difficult situation.)

Something terrible has happened in my family, and I have to admit I’ve been in shock most of the week, unable to think clearly, feeling extremely helpless. With Bob down in Pennsylvania now, beginning his new role as minister, while spending a day supervising the unloading of the first moving truck, and me here all alone, getting ready for Stage Two of the move, I’m realizing that I need to write. I need to get this out. I need my blog, and, in some odd way, I need all of you who read me.

Last weekend, the night before Bob’s ordination, my nineteen-and-seventeen-year-old nieces were hit by a drunk driver while they were on the road to visit a friend in a nearby town down in North Carolina. Miraculously, they both survived the accident, although the prognosis was not good for my youngest niece (who suffered multiple life-threatening injuries). How does one write about such things? How does one describe how difficult it is to be so far away, to be in the midst of a move, not to be able to see and hug and hold everyone involved? How does one capture the feeling of wanting to be on the phone every minute with everyone in the family, holding onto voices, at least, if nothing else? How does one come to grips with the fact that she is in some ways carrying on with her life, as usual, not even telling everyone she encounters what’s going on, despite the fact she wants to scream at some people, “How can you care about such stupid things when two beautiful, innocent, extraordinarily-lovable young women are fighting for their lives right now?” How does one struggle with the guilt she feels that she's throwing herself into work and other tasks at hand which are a distraction? Or the guilt she feels because she can still laugh, still interact with others as though nothing has happened?

I’m so proud of my nieces, both of whom are fighting and holding on and are managing to impress everyone in the hospital with their strength and their wills to live. Although they both remain in intensive care, we are no longer worrying about survival. We’re just worrying about the weeks and months of recovery ahead. I’m proud of my sister who manages to call and email and relay news to oh-so-many people who are calling her every minute, proud that she nonchalantly describes one “meltdown” she had one night, when I’m sure I’d be in perpetual meltdown. I can’t even begin to imagine how she must feel, this being every single mother’s worst nightmare. I’m proud of my family, because we’re all so wonderful in moments like this, supporting each other, “tag-teaming,” so that someone from the family is down there to help at all times. They were all here when it happened (Forsyth, thank God, it turns out, had made a last-minute decision due to work and other obligations not to come up for the ordination), and on some levels, that was one of the good things to come of all this, because we were here to get the news together and to offer support. They all chose to stay for the ordination (a decision I think helped everyone involved, because the ceremony was quite soothing, and the loving support we all got was nothing short of miraculous) but to leave a day early, so that at least one of us could get down to North Carolina to hold Forsyth’s hand.

I’m touched by my nieces’ friends as well. Don’t let anyone tell you anything about the selfishness of teenagers. From the descriptions I’ve been getting, their friends have practically been holding vigils at the hospital. Nurses have complained about my nieces having too many visitors. My youngest niece’s boyfriend (who is the hero of the day, having been in the car as well and kicked his way out to get help) has proven his loyalty and love in a way only young, passionate, teenagers with all their raw emotion can.

I can’t stop thinking about what it must be like for them, what kind of pain they must be experiencing. Imagine being seventeen years old, an age at which no one thinks she’s beautiful, and to be facing major reconstructive surgery on your jaw and face. Imagine having your jaw wired shut. Imagine being in a back brace, possibly for months. Imagine being exhausted all the time at an age at which one should be the most full of energy. Imagine having surgery to drain blood on the brain and memory lapses at that age. Imagine missing school and parties and all the other things nineteen-year-olds and seventeen-year-olds shouldn't be missing. And yet, the sarcastic sense of humor, so prevalent in our family, still reins as one of them rolls her eyes at ridiculous questions and the other one, when her mother tells her she (her mother) has no idea where her (the daughter's) cell phone charger is, comments, “Your daughter’s in the hospital, and you can’t give her the one thing she asks for?”

I don’t know. Does it make sense that I find myself experiencing moments in which I can’t stop crying?

22 comments:

Rebecca H. said...

Oh, Emily, I'm so sorry about this. You and your family were so brave at the ordination, carrying on with things even though this terrible thing had just happened. I thought about writing about it in my post on the service, but decided it was too personal. But it was amazing to see your family pulling through. All the best to your nieces --

Emily Barton said...

Dorr, thank you. I don't blame you for not writing about it. You'll note how long it's taken me, due to the fact it's so personal.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this. But I am glad to hear that your nieces are fighting and pulling through. I'll send good thoughts their (and your) way...

Charlotte said...

Emily, I am so sorry. You have me in tears, and I can understand why you keep needing to cry. What a terrible thing to have happened to those lovely girls. I imagine you are all suffering from a combination of shock and horror, but also relief that they are going to be okay. Thank goodness they have such wonderful family and friends to support them and Forsyth. I am thinking of you all.

Amanda said...

I am sorry to hear that you and you and your family have had such a terrible thing happen. You are in my thoughts.

Froshty said...

Emily, life goes on. If we didn't have day-to-day activities and laughter with friends, it would be worse. I've known all along that my daughters were amazing, and although I thank God every day for the miracle He granted us by sparing their lives, I have known in my heart that they woud make it through. I've held on to that. Your nieces are the best people I know--without a single weakness that would keep them from staying strong. I know you can't be here and I understand it. We all have to do what we have to do. This family is fantastic and we'll make it. Just do what you need to do and the time to visit them will come sooner than you think. My new anthem is a song called "Stronger" by Kanye West. He sings "That that don't kill me makes me stronger." It's true, it's true, it's true. Love, Forsyth

Rebecca said...

Emily, that's such sad news. I'm so relieved that your nieces are fighting (and still have attitude). The world should stop when these things happen, not force you to carry on with normal life too. No wonder you need to cry.
If there's anything we can do, you know where we are.

Anne Camille said...

Oh Emily, I'm so sorry that your family is going through this. It sounds like your neices (and their mom!) are strong, amazing people. You and your family are in my thoughts during this time.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, Emily - I am so terribly sorry for you, Forsyth and your family. I can't imagine how your emotions must be swinging back and forth. Young girls really shouldn't ever have to go through something like this. Everyone in your family seems to handle things with such grace, humility and humor - y'all are a remarkable lot.

It probably doesn't help much, but I was in an accident my junior year of high school and missed nearly all of it - I remember receiving stacks and stacks of books and videos which helped immeasurably when I couldn't move. Also, and I know this is a long time down the road, but people who came to help me with my homework so I could still become a senior...I think I appreciated folks who took turns with that as much as any tangible gift.
Take good care, of yourself and your family. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, Emily, I am so sorry to hear about this. I feel inspired and moved by the way your amazing family responds to such a terrifying ordeal. And full of anger for the idiots who get into their dangerous cars after one too many. Sending much love to you and your family and lots of healing energy to your remarkable nieces.

Emily Barton said...

Thank you, thank you, everyone, for all your kind comments and good thoughts1 The two girls continue to improve and were both moved out of intensive care yesterday, although it looks like it still may be a while before either is out of the hospital.

Froshty, as soon as I'm able, I plan to come down there and keep all of you up all night, laughing and making fun of all the officious hospital personnel. (Well, that's my plan. Probably what will happen instead is I'll end up crying over how sweet the nurses all are or something.)

Edd said...

Emily,

Please accept my heartfelt condolences – I came over from Dorothy W.’s site. My daughter, now, soon to turn 34 this month, fought for her life during her first year at college after being hit by a drunk driver. Her doctors told us if she survived the head injury, she might never be able to finish college. Making a long story short, she stayed out a year went back and through extra studies combined with Summer school graduated with her original class. She now teaches elementary education at Myrtle Beach, SC.

Emily Barton said...

Edd and Court, your stories are extraordinarily helpful and encouraging. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a terrible, terrible thing to have happened, and what an ordeal for everyone in your family. Yes, I would be in constant meltdown if such a thing ever happened to my child. Thank goodness they are alive and off the danger list. That's something to hold onto. I once remember a doctor telling me very gently that the human body was designed to survive. I've often found that a comforting thought since. But my heart goes out to you and your family and I will have everything crossed for your nieces' full recovery.

Heather said...

Emily, I'm so sorry this is happening to your family. You'll be in my prayers. You don't go into a lot of detail but I assume that both girls will be able to walk away from the hospital someday and that will be a blessing. The two teenage granddaughters of a family friend were hit by a drunk driver and were both left parapalegics. They show a strength and resilence that is unbelievable and I'm sure your neices will do the same. They have the strength of family to support them and love them - there's nothing better to help them recover. Hugs you you Emily.

mandarine said...

How does one comment on such things? After three days, I still do not know. Maybe I should not.

I wish there was a checkbox I could just click: "I'll be thinking about/praying for them and your family" and be done with; but your story is just turning and tossing in my head, and I still do not know what I can/should/wish to say.

Emily Barton said...

Ms. Blossom, no, luckily, no paralysis (even the one who broke her back managed to escape spinal damage), so we're very grateful for that.

Litlove, Welcome back! I hope you're feeling better, and I just love that notion of the human body being designed to survive.

Mandarine, consider the box checked. And, don't worry, you said just the right thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh darling Emily, this is such a wrenching, saddening thing to hit a family. For some reason, it is particularly difficult to see tragedy strike very young people, although honestly, it is awful when it touches anyone you know. Don't you think it's just perfectly normal to cry a lot about it? It's part of being human, that we are vulnerable to chance, to being on the road at the wrong time. We are also, of course, hit by chance in wonderful ways too -- that our husband to be happened to be at the party we almost didn't go to, for example. And although things like this horrible event are part of life, they are among the hardest. I think you are right to write about it because it makes all of us draw closer, and I do believe that having a lot of people thinking good thoughts about those who are in trouble never, ever hurts. I'm sending mine. Love, Lily

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Emily! I am so sorry about your nieces. Your post made me want to cry so it is understandable that there are times you can't stop. Thinking good thoughts for the girls. Their recovery will be long and hard but with such family support and humor, they will get through it.

Anonymous said...

This is horrible and shocking. I feel so sorry for the girls and your whole family! Wishing your all strength and courage for the times ahead...

Emily Barton said...

Thanks again, everyone, for your thoughts and words of encouragement. The girls continue to improve, and one of them is home from the hospital now, but we've got a long, long way to go.

Froshty said...

Emily, I wrote a brief post on my blog (www.froshtymugs.blogspot.com) about Mary and Anna and the wonder that is teenagers. If any young people or parents of young people read your blog, check it out. Thanks and love, Forsyth