Wednesday, September 08, 2010

4-Day Weekend By the Numbers

At this point, the four-day weekend seems like a distant memory, but I thought I'd try to keep it alive a little while longer. To that end:


hours spent at the library: 3 (pretty good, considering it was closed on Sunday and Monday)

books checked out: 8

Nick Bantock books read: 3 (2 at the library and one at home. Yes, I've gone a little crazy over Nick Bantock, but how can you not read all six of the Griffin and Sabine books at once?)

Books checked out that are graphic novels: 4 (or maybe 5. Would you categorize Nick Bantock as "graphic"? He's filed in regular fiction at my library)

(non Nick Bantock) books finished: 2 (David Markson's Vanishing Point and Alexandra Potter's The Two Lives of Miss Charlotte Merryweather. A very nice balance)

books started (because, yes, I am a read-multiple-books-at-a-time kinda gal): 3 (The Postmistress by Sarah Blake, Death Rites by Alicia Gimenez-Bartlett, and Dream Country by Neil Gaiman)

All right, there was (much) more to the weekend than my book obsession:

chamber music concerts attended: 1 (at the lovely Mt. Gretna Playhouse. We missed out on the ice cream at The Jigger Shop, though. Lines were too long before the show, and it was closed afterwards. That means we'll have to go back next summer)

alcoholic beverages consumed: 8 (which is a lot for me in four days. I know: I'm a wimp)

nights out with "the girls": 1 (that helps account for the number of drinks)

picnics attended: 2 (that helps account for more of those drinks)

hotdogs eaten: 1 (shouldn't there have been more, since I went to two picnics? Obviously, I was being very good)

dishes of ice cream: 2 (well, not that good...)

calories consumed: oh, maybe about 9000? (okay, not the least bit good)

long walks: 1

meals cooked: 2

laughs: countless

Tell me again why we don't have 4-day weekends every weekend.

6 comments:

litlove said...

It sounds wonderful, Emily! And I keep hearing about these Griffin and Sabine books without knowing or at least, understanding, what they are. I've just looked them up on amazon and they are VERY expensive over here which is a terrible shame - I will have to stand in the bookstore and read them... ;-)

Smithereens said...

Coming from a French who has ample holidays, I'm totally envious of your 4 days weekend! We had a strike, in the meantime. I should have had a hotdog that day too.

stefanie said...

How'd you get a 4-day weekend? I only got three, she says with a pout. I am glad you are enjoying Griffin and Sabine. Will you be posting on Vanishing Point? I want to know what you thought about it!

Emily Barton said...

Smithereens, hotdog days are always a good thing. Of course, I should have spent some of that four day weekend writing long overdue letters to my pen pals, but I didn't.

Stef, my company was very generous and gave us an extra day for all our hard work. Stay tuned this evening for a post on Vanishing Point...

Emily Barton said...

Litlove, you can easily read Griffin and Sabine in the bookstore (although you'll have to keep going back as there are six of them). Would love to hear what you think.

Rebecca H. said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Good books, good food, good company -- perfect!